Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 65
This collection consists of a letter dated July 30, 1864 from Rear Admiral David Farragut to H. R. Billings that officially granted Billings's request to be detached from the USS Vincennes.
This collection includes accounts written by Artie E. Akers documenting different stories from his time as a submarine "volunteer" during World War II.
In this memoir, Buck Donaldson recounts his childhood in rural Louisiana and his service in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
This collection consists of a transcript of an interview with Buck Donaldson by Kurt Piehler and Tiffany Davis conducted on October 21, 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Veteran's Oral History Project. In the interview, Donaldson speaks about his childhood in the Depression, his experiences in the Navy during World War II, and his postwar life as a missionary in Africa.
This collection features a copy of Calm Seas, Friendly Beaches: A Landing Craft Sailor's Prayer written by Gerald M. Yankee and copyrighted in 2014. In this book, Yankee dictates his experience as a sailor in World War II for U.S. Naval landing crafts in the Pacific Theatre of war.
This collection contains material documenting the life and accomplishments of William Robert Anderson, Captain of the USS Nautilus SSN 571 during the Cold War and Tennessee Congressman in the 1960s and early 1970s.
This collection features photographs, news articles, book excerpts, and other papers from Charles Bray's military service during World War II and his time living in Vietnam while working with the Central Intelligence Agency.
The Charles D. Butte Collection, 1921-2003 (bulk 1940-1948), consists of diaries, memoirs, and histories of the 603rd Quartermaster Graves Registration Company (QM GR CO) that served during and after World War II. This collection extensively covers the activity of the QM GR CO, and the diaries give insight to the experiences shared by its members. The collection also includes several compact discs and a floppy disk that contain electronic copies of the printed information.
A letter from David Farragut, signed "D. G. Farragut," to E. Caylus dated March 20, 1867. In it, Farragut expresses gratitude for receiving the Abraham Lincoln bronze medal for his achievements in Lincoln's administration.
Collection contains a single signed photograph of Admiral David Farragut dressed in uniform.
This collection features a letter written by Admiral David G. Farragut to Secretary of the Navy Isaac Toucey, dated September 25, 1860.
This letter, dated September 14, 1864 and signed D. G. Farragut, was written on board Farragut's flagship Hartford while it was anchored at Mobile Bay, Alabama. Addressed to Commodore Jason G. Palmer, it consists of an order to change the names of three vessels.
This collection contains two letters sent to David Glasgow Farragut while he was serving on the MS Flag Ship Hartford. They are dated 1863 and 1864. The letter dated 1864 concerns the appraisal of a schooner captured by the Estella.
This collection features correspondence between Sy Hyman and Dennis Coughlin as well as a collection of diary entries made by Hyman in 1946 from his World War II service.
This collection contains letters sent to Edward Richard Herman, Private First Class in the United States Naval Forces, by various family members, friends, and lovers while he was stationed at Guadalcanal and later the Ulithi Islands in the Pacific Theater during World War II.
This collection consists of an invitation to the commission ceremony for the USS Abercrombie in May 1944.
This collection documents Erwin P. Currier’s service with the U. S. Navy during World War II. Included is a CD of an interview with Currier as well as photocopies of photographs and service documents. Also included is information related to the histories of two ships on which Currier served: USS Card and USS Bennington.
This collection houses a World War II era set of Fishing Instructions for a Navy fishing survival kit designed to help a soldier survive in case of becoming stranded on islands. It outlines general rules for fishing, the contents of the kit with instructions for each part, and information about certain types of animals and plants. There is also a note on native peoples.
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
- Subject: United States. Navy. X
- United States. Navy. 52
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 31
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 12
- World War, 1939-1945. 11
- United States. Navy -- History. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 5
- United States. Army. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 4
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 3
- Louisiana -- History. 2
- Mobile Bay, Battle of, Ala., 1864. 2
- United States. Marine Corps. 2
- United States. Navy -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- United States. Navy -- Women. 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 2
- Admirals -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- Admirals -- United States. 1
- Attu, Battle of, Alaska, 1943 1
- Authors, American -- Tennessee. 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Brownsville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- California -- History -- 1850-1950. 1
- Christianity -- Southern States. 1
- Cold War. 1
- Correspondence. 1
- France -- History -- 1789-1815. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Registers of dead. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) 1
- Military chaplains -- United States. 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Natchez (Ship) 1
- Nuclear facilities -- United States. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Politicians -- Tennessee. 1
- Shipping -- United States -- History. 1
- Soldiers -- New York (State) -- Correspondence. 1
- Soldiers' bodies, Disposition of. 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority -- Officials and employees. 1
- Underwater exploration -- Arctic ocean 1
- United States -- History, Naval -- To 1900. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1783-1809. 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1865-1869. 1
- United States Postal Service -- Employees. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Navy -- Aviation. 1
- United States. Navy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. 1
- United States. Navy. Seabees. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- University of Tennessee, Memphis -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- Voyages and travels. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Iran. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Saipan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Registers of dead -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1 ∧ less