Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 43
In this memoir, Buck Donaldson recounts his childhood in rural Louisiana and his service in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
This collection consists of a transcript of an interview with Buck Donaldson by Kurt Piehler and Tiffany Davis conducted on October 21, 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Veteran's Oral History Project. In the interview, Donaldson speaks about his childhood in the Depression, his experiences in the Navy during World War II, and his postwar life as a missionary in Africa.
This collection features photographs, news articles, book excerpts, and other papers from Charles Bray's military service during World War II and his time living in Vietnam while working with the Central Intelligence Agency.
This collection features various military documents, photographs, and books from David F. Ross, a Lieutenant in the 5th Air Force deployed in the Pacific Theater during World War II.
This collection contains the publication entitled Victory On The March: A Pictorial Record of the First Year of the War of Greater East Asia which documents the early part of World War II in Asia.
Major Erastus Edward Strobino, M.D. kept a travelogue/nature journal while serving with the Americal Division (23rd Infantry Division) at the 109th Station Hospital in New Caledonia from 1942 to 1943. In the journal, he describes the native flora and fauna on the island, and writes about the indigenous diseases and medicine, constellations, and other scientific and nature-related topics.
This collection houses a typescript of an oral history interview conducted with Foster Arnett by G. Kurt Piehler and Johnny Goins for the Veteran's Oral History Project at the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview documents Arnett's childhood in East Tennessee, his experiences in the Pacific Theater during World War II, and his postwar legal practice.
This collection includes a copy of World War II soldier Frank Baghetti's memoir, "As I Witnessed World War II," along with aa photograph of Baghetti's plane, "Hubba Hubba."
This collection consists of materials regarding Lt. Frank L. Kersnowski, a staff sergeant at a hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii during World War II. This collection includes military documents, newspapers, publications, photographs, and a scrapbook. Most publications are photocopies.
This collection contains copies of photographs, copies of newspaper articles, and documents related to World War II veteran Fred V. Brown’s experience in the Pacific Theater of war.
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
This collection contains Gus W. Dyer’s memoirs, essays, diary entries, and correspondence from his time serving in World War II in the Pacific Theater.
This collection contains material regarding the military career of Harold S. Fink, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve who served during World War II.
This collection of correspondence, photographs, and currency documents part of Harry A. Waddington's service in the Third Infantry Division of the Seventh Army Front in both the European and Pacific fronts during World War II.
This collection includes a typed copy of Statement of Capt. Harry H. Mittenthal which details Mittenthal's experience as a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II from 1942 to 1945.
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press clippings, recollections, and ephemera collected by Evelyn Hogins concerning World War II. It also includes material concerning Evelyn's mother, Annie Hogins, and Evelyn's brothers: Clifford, Lawrence "Buster", and Marshall Hogins. The brothers all served in the U.S. military. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of photocopies.
This collection consists of a folder that contains letters and a transcription of the diary belonging to Howard O. Lane, bomber in the U.S. Air Force during World War II.
This collection consists of correspondence between J. Harold Harveston, a radioman in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and his parents. It also contains an undated newspaper clipping regarding Harveston from the Knoxville News Sentinel.
A collection of photocopies of photographs documenting James C. Havron’s military service in Alaska during World War II. Places documented include Dutch Harbor and Attu Island.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 26
- United States. Army. 13
- United States. Navy. 13
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 5
- World War, 1939-1945. 5
- United States. Army Air Forces. 4
- Louisiana -- History. 2
- United States. Air Force. 2
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Philippines. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Philippines. 2
- Atomic bomb -- Japan -- Hiroshima-shi. 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Hiroshima-shi (Japan) -- History -- Bombardment, 1945. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee. 1
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Rationing -- United States -- History. 1
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers. 1
- United States. Army. Division, 40th. 1
- United States. Army. Parachute Infantry Regiment, 511th. 1
- United States. Marine Corps. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Burma. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Saipan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- East Asia -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- New Caledonia. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1 ∧ less