Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 51
This collection includes accounts written by Artie E. Akers documenting different stories from his time as a submarine "volunteer" during World War II.
This collection documents Auburn W. Herron Jr.'s military service during World War II and the Korean Conflict. The collection contains a photocopy of a flight logbook, documenting August 1944 to June 1945 and kept by a crewmembers of Herron's, David McKnight. Also included is background information written by McKnight providing details of Herron's life during the war. Lastly, the collection contains a CD-ROM of photographs taken by Herron 1950 to 1956 during the Korean Conflict.
This collection contains Benjamin F. Witt Jr.'s military documents and photographs from his time in the U.S. Navy during World War II, particularly while serving on the USS Moffett. The photos show work and recreational time of the service members as well as views from aboard the ship. The documents include Witt's identification card, training course certificates, newsletters and reports related to the Moffett., and other military paperwork.
In this memoir, Buck Donaldson recounts his childhood in rural Louisiana and his service in the U. S. Navy during World War II.
This collection consists of a transcript of an interview with Buck Donaldson by Kurt Piehler and Tiffany Davis conducted on October 21, 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Veteran's Oral History Project. In the interview, Donaldson speaks about his childhood in the Depression, his experiences in the Navy during World War II, and his postwar life as a missionary in Africa.
This collection features a copy of Calm Seas, Friendly Beaches: A Landing Craft Sailor's Prayer written by Gerald M. Yankee and copyrighted in 2014. In this book, Yankee dictates his experience as a sailor in World War II for U.S. Naval landing crafts in the Pacific Theatre of war.
This collection features photographs, news articles, book excerpts, and other papers from Charles Bray's military service during World War II and his time living in Vietnam while working with the Central Intelligence Agency.
The Charles D. Butte Collection, 1921-2003 (bulk 1940-1948), consists of diaries, memoirs, and histories of the 603rd Quartermaster Graves Registration Company (QM GR CO) that served during and after World War II. This collection extensively covers the activity of the QM GR CO, and the diaries give insight to the experiences shared by its members. The collection also includes several compact discs and a floppy disk that contain electronic copies of the printed information.
This collection features correspondence between Sy Hyman and Dennis Coughlin as well as a collection of diary entries made by Hyman in 1946 from his World War II service.
This collection consists of an invitation to the commission ceremony for the USS Abercrombie in May 1944.
This collection documents Erwin P. Currier’s service with the U. S. Navy during World War II. Included is a CD of an interview with Currier as well as photocopies of photographs and service documents. Also included is information related to the histories of two ships on which Currier served: USS Card and USS Bennington.
This collection houses a World War II era set of Fishing Instructions for a Navy fishing survival kit designed to help a soldier survive in case of becoming stranded on islands. It outlines general rules for fishing, the contents of the kit with instructions for each part, and information about certain types of animals and plants. There is also a note on native peoples.
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
A single handwritten diary (photocopy) of Guy Landers from his time in World War II. The diary includes short daily entries of Landers’ activities from August 1944 through July 1945 before and during his time on the USS Arkansas.
The Harold F. Broderick Collection, 1943, consists primarily of photographs of Attu Island during World War II. Also included is the Blue Star Flag.
This collection contains material regarding the military career of Harold S. Fink, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve who served during World War II.
The Helen F. Kuhns Papers, 1944-1963 (bulk 1945) consist primarily of incoming correspondence of Kuhns, a member of the women's naval branch during World War II. In addition to incoming correspondence, this collection also contains government issued pamphlets and flyers as well as correspondence to the Round Robin group.
- United States. Navy. 46
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States. 32
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 14
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 13
- World War, 1939-1945. 12
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 8
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 6
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 5
- United States. Army. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 3
- Louisiana -- History. 2
- United States. Marine Corps. 2
- United States. Navy -- Women. 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 2
- Attu, Battle of, Alaska, 1943 1
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Medical care. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Participation, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Photography. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Registers of dead. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Liberty ships. 1
- Memphis (Tenn.) 1
- Military chaplains -- United States. 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Nuclear facilities -- United States. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Soldiers' bodies, Disposition of. 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority -- Officials and employees. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Navy -- Aviation. 1
- United States. Navy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. 1
- United States. Navy -- History. 1
- United States. Navy. Seabees. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- University of Tennessee, Memphis -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Iran. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Saipan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Medical care. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pictorial works. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Registers of dead -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Women -- United States. 1 ∧ less