Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 29
Act to Amend the Charter of Knoxville and Kentucky Rail Road Company
This collection is the handwritten Act to Amend the Charter of Knoxville and Kentucky Rail Road Company which details funds and boundary lines for the company's railway construction.
Almon C. Brown and Robert B. Thompson Records
A pamphlet entitled "Prospectus of Oil Well Property in Overton County, Tennessee" describes the location and production of the wells on the property as well as the difficulties faced and recent improvements in transportation of the oil. The pamphlet is attached to an 1895 contract to sell this property between Almon C. Brown and Robert B. Thompson.
Campbell Wallace Papers
This collection houses personal and professional correspondence documenting Campbell Wallace's involvement with insurance and property, requests for financial aid, references, verification of character, financial backing, railroads, private businesses, and stock companies.
Captain William E. Merrill's Rail Road Bridges and Tunnels Document
This collection contains a lithograph document compiled by Captain William E. Merrill in 1864 featuring records of bridges and tunnels along the railway between Georgia and Tennessee.
Carolina, Knoxville, and Western Railroad Circular
This circular provides “facts and figures showing why the voters of Knox County should vote for the subscription of $100,000 at the election, Saturday, October 29.” Specifically, it lists the assessed valuation for each district in Knox County and compares the needed tax to the potential gains in markets and other value.
Cumberland-Sequatche Railroad Collection
This collection houses 7 manuscript notebooks containing survey and engineering data.
East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad Records
The East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad Records Collection contains letters, legal papers, and receipts which document the development of a railroad connection between Knoxville and Virginia. Much of the material deals with a lawsuit for non-payment between the railroad and Jesse Crouch of Washington County, Tenn.
East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad Company Letter Regarding William Hunt
This letter appoints William Hunt Attorney in Fact for the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad Company. Hunt is instructed to apply to the Tennessee Legislature for the 250 bonds (worth $1,000 each) that the previous Legislature had set aside for the Railroad.
East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad Records
This collection contains documents from the Office of East Tennessee & Virginia Rail Road Company in 1854. Included is a dray ticket, a letter to James L. Coile and sons about money owed for shares of stock in the company, and copy of a resolution to the Board of Directors regarding stock money collection arrangements.
Elliott, Johnson & Co. Letter
In this letter to Richard H. Charles, a representative of Elliott, Johnson & Co. discusses Charles' purchase of bonds supporting the Chattanooga Union Railway Company. The author also mentions having sent Charles some circulars describing the railroad (not included), but regrets that they do not describe recent improvements.
G. W. Young Letter
In a March 5, 1856 letter to his father in Chaplin, Conn., G. W. Young of Clarksville, Tenn. writes of the area's agricultural practices as well as the influence of a new railroad on coal mining and prices.
Illinois Central Railroad Annual Reports
This collection consists of two bound volumes housing the annual reports of the Illinois Central Railroad Company's Board of Directors from 1852 to 1900. Topics discussed include passenger and freight business, railroad construction, income, expenditures, and general business conditions.
J. W. Wilson & Co. Record
This collection consists of one receipt describing J. W. Wilson & Co.'s shipment of goods by rail. The record is printed on the official paper of the company and includes a description of the goods shipped. The document is intended to validate the receipt of the goods at the destination address. The objects were sent to a Mr. Lieb in Shelbyville, Tennessee and addressed to the care of Evans & Shepard.
Kate Thornberg Letter
In this letter to her sister Veronica Boyers in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Nashville resident Kate Thornberg tells of freezing weather and a lack of food due to the influx of Union Soldiers and Confederate refugees and the Union's control of the Lexington and Nashville Railway Line.
Louisville & Nashville Railroad Case Brief Book
This collection contains a case brief book of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. The first portion consists of an alphabetized directory of court cases, followed by a second portion containing brief accounts of each case.
Mississippi Central & Tennessee Railroad Bill of Lading
This bill of lading indicates that J. L. Moore consigned 10 bales of cotton to Fowlkes & Co. in Memphis, Tennessee at Loone's Station.
Nancy Dickinson Estabrook Diary
Nashville and Florence Railroad Company Construction Cost Estimates
The first document in this collection is a bid from O. H. P. Bennett Engineers dated April 17, 1880 indicating that they could construct the proposed Nashville and Florence Railroad at a cost of $19,990. The second item is a bid from Chas. W. Brown dated May 15, 1880 stating that his organization could construct the line for $39,000.
Nashville & Knoxville Railroad Prospectus
This collection consists of a five-page typed prospectus describing the railroad set to be completed by May 1, 1890, extending from Lebanon to Cookeville, Tennessee.
New Market Railroad Construction Photograph
This photograph depicts workers using a steam-driven shovel to repair railroad tracks in New Market, Tennessee. A number of civilians, including women in dresses and hats, are observing them. The damage to the tracks may have been incurred during the New Market Train Wreck (1904). A caption written across the top of the photograph reads Mr. Ed. King, New Market, Tennessee.
- Subject: Railroads -- Tennessee. X
- Railroads -- Tennessee. 16
- Railroads -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 8
- Railroads -- Tennessee -- History. 5
- Coal mines and mining -- Tennessee. 2
- Railroads -- Georgia -- History -- 19th century. 2
- Railroads -- Kentucky. 2
- Railroads -- Mississippi. 2
- Railroads -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century. 2
- United States. Interstate Commerce Commission. 2
- Agriculture -- Tennessee -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Business -- Tennessee. 1
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Cholera -- Tennessee -- Knoxville. 1
- Christian life -- United States. 1
- Education, Higher -- Tennessee. 1
- Indians of North America -- Relocation. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- Commerce. 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Lookout Mountain (Appalachian Mountains) -- Pictorial works. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Nashville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- New Market (Tenn.) 1
- Oil wells -- Tennessee -- Overton County. 1
- Railroad stations -- Tennessee. 1
- Railroad trains -- Pictorial works. 1
- Railroads 1
- Railroads -- Employees. 1
- Railroads -- Finance -- United States. 1
- Railroads -- Illinois. 1
- Railroads -- Ohio. 1
- Railroads -- Southern States. 1
- Railroads -- United States. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- Tennessee. 1
- Rugby (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Rural electrification -- Tennessee. 1
- Shelbyville (Tenn.) -- History. 1
- Slavery -- Tennessee 1
- Street-railroads -- Tennessee. 1
- Tennessee -- Pictorial works. 1
- Texas -- History -- Revolution, 1835-1836. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Engineering and construction. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- United States. Army of the Cumberland. 1 ∧ less