Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 31
Artie E. Akers Collection
This collection includes accounts written by Artie E. Akers documenting different stories from his time as a submarine "volunteer" during World War II.
Buck Donaldson Oral History
This collection consists of a transcript of an interview with Buck Donaldson by Kurt Piehler and Tiffany Davis conducted on October 21, 2002 in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Veteran's Oral History Project. In the interview, Donaldson speaks about his childhood in the Depression, his experiences in the Navy during World War II, and his postwar life as a missionary in Africa.
Calm Seas, Friendly Beaches
This collection features a copy of Calm Seas, Friendly Beaches: A Landing Craft Sailor's Prayer written by Gerald M. Yankee and copyrighted in 2014. In this book, Yankee dictates his experience as a sailor in World War II for U.S. Naval landing crafts in the Pacific Theatre of war.
Charles A. Colmery Jr. Collection
Charles Bray Collection
This collection features photographs, news articles, book excerpts, and other papers from Charles Bray's military service during World War II and his time living in Vietnam while working with the Central Intelligence Agency.
Dennis Coughlin Collection
This collection features correspondence between Sy Hyman and Dennis Coughlin as well as a collection of diary entries made by Hyman in 1946 from his World War II service.
Edward P. Stafford Papers
This collection consists of an invitation to the commission ceremony for the USS Abercrombie in May 1944.
Erwin P. Currier Collection
This collection documents Erwin P. Currier’s service with the U. S. Navy during World War II. Included is a CD of an interview with Currier as well as photocopies of photographs and service documents. Also included is information related to the histories of two ships on which Currier served: USS Card and USS Bennington.
Freytag Family Papers
This collection gives a glimpse into the life of the Freytag family, a miltary family from Wartburg, TN. The collection includes correspondence, press clippings, photographs, and certificates regarding the Freytag children, Albert Jr., Fred, and Maxwell. Albert Jr. was enlisted in the U.S. Marines, Fred was enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and Maxwell was enlisted in the U.S. Army. All materials are photocopies, donated by the family matriarch, Ethel H. Freytag.
Harold S. Fink Collection
This collection contains material regarding the military career of Harold S. Fink, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve who served during World War II.
Hogins Family Collection
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press clippings, recollections, and ephemera collected by Evelyn Hogins concerning World War II. It also includes material concerning Evelyn's mother, Annie Hogins, and Evelyn's brothers: Clifford, Lawrence "Buster", and Marshall Hogins. The brothers all served in the U.S. military. A significant portion of the collection is comprised of photocopies.
J. Harold Harveston Papers
This collection consists of correspondence between J. Harold Harveston, a radioman in the U.S. Navy during World War II, and his parents. It also contains an undated newspaper clipping regarding Harveston from the Knoxville News Sentinel.
J. Porter Taylor Collection
This collection features materials related to James Porter Taylor's interactions with the Office of Naval Officers Procurement and the Selective Service during World War II while he worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority. Materials include classification cards, correspondence, service documents, and TVA memorandums.
James A. Ramsey Collection
This collection includes material from James A. Ramsey's service during World War II as a part of the U.S. Navy. It features his diary, a copy of his journal, a seaman's handbook, several photographs, documents from his naval service, and a series of naval stories written by Ramsey after his service.
James E. Arnold Photographs of Pearl Harbor
Jerome Kaufman Collection
This collection includes several letters written to World War II soldier Jerome Kaufman, who served with the U.S. Navy, from his family and wife, as well as military documents from his service.
Joseph E. Kelly Collection
This collection contains research bibliographies, notes, newsclippings, and a historical account ,“The Splinter Fleet,” written by World War II veteran Joseph E. Kelly about his experience in the war.
Melvin Carr Oral History
The Melvin Carr Oral History, 2001, is a typescript from an oral history interview with Melvin Carr by Dr. Kurt Piehler and Nashwa Van Houts of the University of Tennessee for the Veteran's Oral History Project conducted by the Center for the Study of War and Society. The interview focuses primarily on his World War II experiences, but also covers pre-war and post-war periods.
Nick Christodoulou Jr. Collection
This collection contains the publications of World War II veteran Nick Christodoulou Jr., including his memoir.
Oliver M. Summers Collection
This collection includes news articles, currency, and photographs from Oliver Summers's service during World War II. Also included are his graduation invitations and an installation of officers pamphlet from Summers's 1953 commencement ceremonies at UT Memphis.
- United States. Navy. 29
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 9
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Ocean. 7
- World War, 1939-1945. 7
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Correspondence. 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations -- Submarine. 4
- United States. Army. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American. 3
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Photography. 3
- United States. Marine Corps. 2
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975. 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- Tennessee. 2
- Baptists -- Missions -- Africa. 1
- Great Depression. 1
- Guided missiles -- Design and construction. 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953. 1
- Louisiana -- History. 1
- Missionaries -- Africa, Sub-Saharan. 1
- Morgan County (Tenn.) 1
- Nuclear facilities -- United States. 1
- Operation Torch, 1942. 1
- Oral history -- United States. 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941. 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority -- Officials and employees. 1
- United States. Air Force. 1
- United States. Army Nurse Corps. 1
- United States. Army. Air Corps. 1
- United States. Navy -- Aviation. 1
- United States. Navy -- History. 1
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville -- Faculty. 1
- University of Tennessee, Memphis -- Alumni and alumnae. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Italy. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Saipan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Casualties -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Japan. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Periodicals. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, Japanese. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States. 1 ∧ less